pic1
BUYING
<< Return to search list
159 Acre Very Productive Alberni Valley Family Farm - In the Same Family for 50+ Years
159 Acre Very Productive Alberni Valley Family Farm - In the Same Family for 50+ Years
Well-maintained 159 acre Port Alberni Family Farm with good cash flow. Move your dairy herd over or raise high quality well-fed beef. The present haying tonnage could be improved on with a bit more machinery and manpower. Lots of water on and under the farm.
  • Size: 158.94 acres
  • Area: VANISLANDSC
  • Price: NEW PRICE $2,499,000
  • Listing Agent: Kurt Nielsen - kurt@landquest.com
  • Phone Number: 250-898-7200
Description : The farm was utilized as a well-known Van Isle dairy operation for many years providing feed, housing and a milking parlour for approx.100 cows. In the last years the farm has been utilized solely as a haying operation producing two to three quality cuts a year. All the product has been sold locally in the Alberni valley and nearby communities. There are over 50,000 ft2 of outbuildings all in quite good condition with many years of useful life left, along with two very nice farm residences. There is abundant water on the property with domestic water coming from several shallow wells and irrigation water being pumped from Bear Creek, which traverses the farm. Two water licences for 103.4 acre-foot/annum is in place.
Location : 9250 Somers Road - Port Alberni, BC
Access : 15 minutes from downtown Port Alberni go approx.15.6 km along Beaver Creek road to Somers Road and turn right. The farm is on your left.
Improvements :

Main Home - Two storey 20-year-old home

  • 1,994 ft2 x 2 = 3,988 ft2
  • 3 bedrooms up and 1 down
  • Large enclosed veranda and outside deck
  • Large bath up (access from master bedroom and living area)
  • Large country kitchen with dining area
  • Large family room down, laundry, storage & 3-piece bath down
  • Heat pump and wood stove

Second Home - Rancher with 1/2 basement and attic bedrooms

  • 1,420 ft2
  • 2 bedrooms on the main & 1 bath
  • 2 smaller bedrooms upstairs
  • Large country kitchen
  • Heat pump
  • Carport

Outbuildings

  • Multi-bay vehicle storage & shop (app.6,200 ft2)
  • Second multi bay shop/garages (2,400 ft2)
  • Multiple other enclosed & open buildings (40,000± ft2)
  • 400 ft2 fuel storage with 2' high concrete containment walls
  • Six concrete bunker silos
  • Two manure pits

Pump House/Irrigation

  • Drawing water directly from Bear Creek
  • 20hp electric pump
  • Two Irrigation Guns with 650' - 4' line & 1,200' 3" sprinkler line
  • Provincial Water License (#61481) - 50 acre/feet per/annum
  • Provincial Water License (#21970) - 53.4 acre/feet/annum
Investment Features :
  • 136± acres of irrigated and drained cultivated land
  • 23± acres of woodlands
  • 50,000 ft2 of outbuildings in good condition
  • Great water, both underground and in Bear Creek
Services : Paved road, Hydro, telephone, septic systems, good quality well water
Recreation : Hiking, biking, fishing (salt and fresh water), diving, golfing, kayaking, windsurfing etc.
Area Data :

Located at the head of the Alberni Inlet, Port Alberni lies adjacent to this natural harbour as well as the Somass River. The other end of the inlet is located on Barkley Sound, which includes the Broken Group Islands, considered to be one of the best areas for kayaking in the world. Sproat lake is located 10 km west of the city, and the valley is guarded by the snow-covered peaks of the Beaufort range, Mount Arrowsmith and Mount Klitsa and surrounded by mountains on all sides. Kuth-kah-chulth is the Nuu-Chah-Nulth name for Mount Arrowsmith.


Today the town is a major service centre for local, regional and provincial governments, and a supply centre and hospital for west coast communities like Bamfield, Tofino and Ucluelet. Currently the natural resources of the area are taking centre stage again, but in a different way. Port Alberni is in the process of "re-developing" itself as a tourism destination. The area's amenities, such as the natural beauty of the area, the opportunities for fishing (both marine and freshwater), its convenience as a jumping-off point for new outdoor recreation and ecotourism activities such as hiking, kayaking and mountain-biking lend themselves to these activities very well


The city's West End is an eclectic mix of new suburban style homes, large acreages, and two First Nations reserves. Much of the residential growth over the past decade has occurred in the city's West End, where the Westporte neighbourhood has taken shape.


The creeks and ravines that cut through the city create natural barriers; Kitsuksis Creek, Cherry Creek, Roger Creek and Dry Creek each flow through the city. The hiking trails in these creeks and ravines add tremendously to the quality of life in Port Alberni.

History :

Port Alberni was named for Captain Don Pedro de Alberni, a Spanish officer, who commanded Fort San Miguel at Nootka Sound on Vancouver Island's west coast from 1790 to 1792.


Before Europeans came, Alberni and the West Coast of Vancouver Island was the traditional territory of the Tseshaht and Hupacasath First Nations of the Nuu-Chah-Nulth Tribal Council. The Nuu-chah-nulth were previously called the Nootka. Many place names in Port Alberni have a Nuu-chah-nulth origin, such as Somass (washing), Kitsuksis (log across mouth of creek), Pacheena (foamy), and Nootka (go around).


In March 1787 Captain Charles William Barkley of the Imperial Eagle explored Barkley Sound, which now bears his name. Barkley travelled with his 17-year-old bride, Frances Barkley, the first European woman to visit what is now British Columbia. Frances Barkley is also the name of one of the two vessels that makes trips down the Alberni Inlet from Port Alberni to Bamfield and Ucluelet. The other, since retired, was the MV Lady Rose.


In 1856 Adam Horne, a Scottish fur trader employed by the Hudson's Bay Company, was directed to locate a land route across Vancouver Island. There were stories that the natives used a trail starting at Qualicum. Adam Horne found this trail leading to the Alberni Valley and it became known as the Horne Lake Trail. Many other settlers used this trail to get to the Alberni Valley.


In 1860 the Anderson company, a sawmilling company from London, England, took the advice of their Victoria agent Captain Edward Stamp and set up a sawmill operation. At the time the American Civil War prevented the importation of timber from the southern United States. Gilbert Sproat and Edward Stamp transported men and machinery to Alberni. They received land grants from Governor James Douglas and started running the Anderson sawmill at the mouth of the Somass River in August 1861. The first mill in BC was built to export lumber. The original mill failed, but several others were established in the 1880s. Sproat Lake was named after Gilbert Sproat and Stamp Falls and Stamp River were named after Edward Stamp.


In 1862 small-scale placer gold mining took place on China Creek; in the 1890s more gold mining took place along the Alberni Inlet at China Creek and Mineral Creek. Several gold veins were found. Exploration for gold continued over the years with peaks in the 1930s and 1960s.


With ample western red cedar and Douglas fir forests surrounding the valley, the forest industry became the dominant economic force. Large logging operators moved in, namely Bloedel, Stewart and Welch. Sawmills were built at Alberni, Great Central Lake, and the McLean Mill. By the Second World War plywood mills and a nascent pulp industry had started. For the next forty years the forest industry reigned supreme.

Zoning : A2 (Rural District) and it’s in the ALR (Agricultural Land Reserve)
Legal : District Lot 72, Alberni District
PID 008-620-741
Taxes : $2,038.43 (2017) with farm status
Boundaries : See Maps & Plans tab
Map Reference : 49°22'26.07"N & 124°57'24.72"W
Listing # : 17294